FOR ALL AGES
ORTHODONTICS FOR CHILDREN
Although there is no precise age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends a visit to the orthodontist around age seven.
By this age, most children have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth, which makes it easier for us to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner and without surgery.
EARLY TREATMENT ALLOWS DR. VARGO TO:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb sucking and help improve minor speech problems
For parents, it’s not always easy to know if your son or daughter may need orthodontic treatment.
HERE ARE A FEW THINGS TO LOOK FOR THAT MAY MEAN YOUR CHILD NEEDS TO SEE AN ORTHODONTIST:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment now will give your little one a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.
ORTHODONTICS FOR TEENS
Braces, retainers, and everything else you want to know about orthodontics!
You’ve just heard the three words that every teen dreads: “YOU NEED BRACES!”
BRACES! WHAT NOW?
Don’t worry! Braces aren’t nearly as scary as you may think. In fact, today they come in a variety of styles, materials, and colors, which makes life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish than in the past.
HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO WEAR BRACES?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on three key factors:
- Early treatment — Early treatment allows us to monitor the growth of the jaw and recommend further orthodontic treatment if it becomes necessary. Not everybody receives early orthodontic treatment; in some cases, it may be recommended that the patient wait to receive treatment.
- What needs correction — The amount of treatment needed to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes. Different patients react to treatments differently. While it may take one patient only 12 months to complete treatment, it might take another 24 months. Treatment times can vary, depending on how quickly your body responds and how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you expect.
- YOU! — Your willingness to use the appliances Dr. Vargo gives you plays a major role in the length of time it takes to complete your treatment. Always remember to take care of your braces and appliances; this truly will help make your treatment shorter!
BRACES YOUR WAY!
Our practice offers a variety of braces types and styles to choose from. Some common options include:
- Ceramic braces
- Invisible braces
- Lingual braces
- Traditional metal braces
Orthodontic braces are a big part of life for many people your age. While they might have had a bad reputation in the past, today’s braces make it easy to look good and feel good! Please contact our practice to schedule your next orthodontic checkup.
ORTHODONTICS FOR ADULTS
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21.
Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
COMMON REASONS WHY ADULTS CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
- A bad bite or malocclusion, which causes teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from seeking treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADULT ORTHODONTICS AND ORTHODONTICS FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS
The main difference to remember when treating adults or children and teens is that in younger patients, the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may necessitate orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, and create a bad bite that increases the potential for gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require different levels of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure you receive the most appropriate treatments, and your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence —Orthodontic treatment can boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues that cost you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.
Get In Touch
Find us on the map, call us or drop us an email
Visit Our Office
Joseph Vargo, DMD, MS
419 East 2nd Avenue
Rome, GA 30161